Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Veggie Mix

Pionus are prone to obesity, liver disease, and gout. They require a diet low in protein as it is easier on their kidneys. Too much protein is what causes gout.
So Pionus do best on a diet low in pellets, nuts, and dry seeds; and high in veggies, fruits, and seed sprouts.
Kei and Toady get around 2 tablespoons of veggies every day. Their dry cage mix is also full of dehydrated veggies and some fruits. Fruits I use in moderation as they have a high sugar content, especially when dehydrated.
For my mix the base is usually frozen organic veggies (a mixture of corn, peas, carrots, and green beans), then I add several varieties of organic veggies, fruits, brown rice or other cooked grains, and seed sprouts.
I do not use a lot of bean sprouts, as they are higher in protein as well.
This mix makes up around 60-75% of their diet.

I make it in batches that last 3-4 days. If I make a large batch, I will freeze some of it. The mix will not be good after a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment