Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Hatchday Kei!

Today is Kei's Hatchday. He is 7 years old!
I got Kei right after Christmas in 2004. I was 14 and he was my Christmas and Birthday present from my dad. We drove to the very Southern most tip of Missouri to get him. His old owners lived in Arkansas and met us there. My grandma lived in Missouri so we went to visit her for Christmas and then drove down a few days later to pick up Kei. We met them in the parking lot of a gaming/hunting store. I won't ever forget it. His old owners were sun conure breeders. They were in a van and were smoking with Kei and several baby sun conures inside (with a window cracked).
Kei was in a tupperware container. I remember the guy man handling him. He grabbed him out and pulled open his wings to show me a retched clip job he had done. All primaries as well as several secondaries had been clipped. Some of his secondary feathers took a few years to grow in fully. When I got him, he'd fall like a rock whenever he tried to fly. He had obviously been flighted before they sold him to me because he kept trying even though he couldn't get any lift. I'm actually surprised (and relieved) that he didn't fracture his keel bone.
He was on a mostly seed diet and he would only eat corn, grapes, and apples for fresh food. It took me years to convert him to veggies.
When I first got him I admit I didn't care for him the best, but I learned quickly from joining a pionus forum.
Eventually I learned about feeding a good diet and let his wings grow out (my vet at the time told me to keep them clipped so they were for a year or more).
He has been my best friend for years.
He actually helped me get through depression in my teen years. I learned to keep living to keep him happy and healthy.
The last 6 years I've kept that mantra. I live for my birds. I love him to pieces. I hope to have many many more years with him.

LOVE YOU KEI! Happy Hatchday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment